Community involvement has always been a defining part of our core mission of “people helping people”. Note that it’s not just “members helping members,” but people helping people. We support the communities where we live and work through active partnerships, contributions, and volunteerism. So, whenever we’re in your neighborhood, please feel free to stop by our booth and say hello. We’re interested in getting to know you and how we can help you achieve your goals.
Community Involvement Examples:
- Scholarships: Each year, we honor the legacy of two Prince George’s Community Federal Credit Union pioneers, Virginia Stallings and Cynthia Prestandrea, with a scholarship that awards two $1,000 scholarships to Members graduating from high school or enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited institution.
- Interactive Financial Literacy programs: We work with local high schools to provide FREE in-classroom materials and online financial literacy modules to expose students to real-world financial dilemmas and how to avoid financial pitfalls. The program helps teachers in meeting the financial education mandate for the state of Maryland.
- Prison Financial Education: We conduct financial education seminars on budgeting, because financial literacy is one of the most important skills inmates can learn to help achieve a successful transition into the community.
- Financial Wellness for Women Series: In conjunction with National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October), we host seminars to help improve and maintain financial growth for women. With the help of community partners, we also provided the community and our members information on breast cancer prevention.
- National Night Out: In August we participate in National Night Out, an annual community-building campaign that promotes police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie to make our neighborhoods safer, better places to live.
- Holiday Outreach: We are active in the U. S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program and have developed the Warm Hearts Coat drive to collect new toys and coats during the holiday season, and distributing them to less fortunate children in our community.